Admission to the MSHSA Program
In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- An official report of the GRE certificate (see application guidelines for waiver)
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 ("B") for the major or for the last 90 quarter units of the bachelor's degree, or for at least 12 units of graduate work;
- Completion of the graduate entrance writing requirement;
- Three letters of recommendation, one from the school where the candidate most recently graduated, or from someone who can attest to the candidate's academic and scholastic ability in a graduate degree program.
- A double-spaced paper not to exceed three pages providing a biographical sketch of the student's life, work background and experiences. The paper is to be concluded with a discussion (not to exceed one page) which addresses the reasons for applying to this graduate program plus career goals and aspirations;
Please read the application guidelines for MSHSA Program.
Students who meet the above criteria may be admitted as conditionally classified graduate students. To attain fully classified status, students must satisfy conditions set by the department's graduate committee, including completion of at least 12 quarter units of appropriate course work at California State University, San Bernardino with a grade point average of 3.0 ("B") or better and removal of deficiencies, if any.
Advancement to Candidacy
In order to be advanced to candidacy, the student must have:
- Achieved classified status;
- Been accepted by a major advisor from the faculty of the Department of Health Science and Human Ecology who will also accept chairing the student's thesis committee if the thesis option is selected;
- Completed at least 16 quarter units of required course work as a graduate student at this university with approval of the major advisor and with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 ("B");
- Candidacy will be granted upon completion of HSCI 610 and 611 plus 24 units from the basic core of courses.
- Gained a recommendation for advancement to candidacy from the Graduate Coordinator of the Department of Health Science and Human Ecology;
- Submitted a formal program of study of graduate course work prepared in consultation with the major advisor and approved by the graduate coordinator of the Department of Health Science and Human Ecology. The program will include an administrative residency/internship or a thesis.
Requirements for Graduation
In addition to the general requirements of the university and the department, graduation requirements include:
- A minimum of 72 units of approved graduate-level work included in the formal program, with a least half of the units required for the degree gained from 600-level courses in Health Science and Human Ecology;
- Advancement to candidacy for the degree and approval of the specific program study;
- A grade point average of 3.0 ("B"), or better, in all graduate course work and research fulfilling the requirements of the Master of Science in Health Services Administration, and grades of "B-" or better in all courses in the program;
- Either A or B below:
- Completion of the administrative residency/internship with a final project;
- Completion and defense of an acceptable thesis;
- The graduation writing requirement is met upon successful completion of the research thesis or a project report of an graduate internship.
Classified and conditionally classified graduate students in the Master of Science program must complete their degree requirements within five years.
In addition to applying for admission to CSUSB, the Department of Health Science and Human Ecology requires a departmental admissions form to be completed. Note: "You must apply to both the university and to the Department of Health Science and Human Ecology. There are two separate applications. We have provided the link to the department application to be submitted along with the rest of the materials on the checklist."